Also known as breast augmentation or augmentation mammaplasty, breast implant surgery is performed in order to make breasts look fuller or more symmetrical. It can also be performed in order to restore volume lost after major weight loss or pregnancy.
There are three main types of breast implants:
1. Silicone implants: These implants are approved by the FDA for women who are 22 years of age or older. They are filled with silicone gel, which allows them to feel more naturally like breast tissue. If the implant leaks, it will not collapse and the gel can remain in the implant shell or escape into the implant pocket. With silicone implants, regular follow-up visits are needed, along with MRI or ultrasound scans, to make sure that the implants are functioning.
2. Saline implants: These implants are filled with sterile salt water and provide a firm shape and feel. They are approved by the FDA for women who are 18 years of age or older. If the implant were to leak, it would collapse and then the saline would be expelled and absorbed by the body naturally.
3. Gummy bear implants: This is a nickname for form-stable implants. These types of implants keep their shape, even if the implant shell becomes broken. This type of implant also uses a silicone gel, but its consistency is thicker and firmer than regular silicone implants. Gummy bear implants are not round, but have a more natural breast shape. They also require a longer incision for placement.
Additionally, there are many types of breast implant shapes and textures that are introduced by implant manufacturers. Some of them include:
1. Smooth implants: These implants are the softest, but may have some visible rippling effects. They also provide more natural movement.
2. Round implants: These help breasts appear fuller. They are the same shape all the way around, so there is no concern that the implants will rotate and then look unnatural.
3. Textured implants: These implants involve the use of scar tissue to help the implant stick and be less likely to rotate.
If you are interested in breast implants, talk to your plastic surgeon about the type that would be best for you based on your current body shape. It’s important to have realistic expectations and to be completely prepared. The results of breast implant surgery are immediately visible, so you can enjoy the look of your new implants right away.